10 Interesting facts about Queen Elizabeth II
1. She speaks fluent French; she uses the language during state visits without the requirement of an interpreter.
2. She is supposedly the only British Monarch fully trained on how to change a spark plug. She was trained as a member of the Women’s Auxiliary Territorial Service during World War II.
3. She was the first member of the Royal family to receive a Gold disk from the recording industry. This was because of the release of ‘Party at the Palace’ produced by EMI, which sold 100,000 copies within the first week.
4. The Queen has owned more than 30 Corgis during her reign. Her corgis are bred from her Pembroke Corgi named Susan given to the Queen for her 18th birthday. Ever since then Corgis have always been a part of the Queens life. Her remaining two Corgis are Holly and Willow who are now 12.
5. At her Coronation her robes were so heavy that she asked the Archbishop of Canterbury to ‘give her a push’ saying: “Get me started”.
6. In 1958 The Queen put on a mining outfit and went 500 feet underground at Rothes Colliery.
7. Her nickname as a child was Lilibet, this was because she could not pronounce “Elizabeth” properly.
8. Rather than buying new ones, The Queen gets her staff to repair worn-out curtains, bed sheets and carpets. She does not like to see things wasted.
9. In 1960 when Prince Andrew was born, Queen Elizabeth II became the first reigning sovereign to have a child since Queen Victoria in 1857.
10. Queen II Elizabeth has visited Australia 16 times, Canada 22 times, Jamaica six times and New Zealand 10 times, but she doesn’t have or need a passport.
Don’t forget you can wish Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II a Happy 90th Birthday in The Queen’s Birthday Book here.